One of the most tedious challenges for a large multisite corporation is evaluating and integrating telecommunications and cloud services from an acquired company. From our experience working with clients who have acquired other companies or locations, acquisitions often bring contract confusion, inefficient spending, and standards misalignment.
If your organization acquires another, how do you integrate all the acquired voice and data network services into your existing network? What voice and data services inventory exist at each location? With which providers? Under what contract terms? Do the services meet the security and compliance standards of your organization?
We have put together a checklist to support a best practices approach to on-boarding and integrating acquired telecommunications and cloud services.
- Gather the acquired services into a centralized inventory
- Include inventory types (SIP, UCaaS, POTS, PRIs, Internet, MPLS, Point to Point), bandwidths, IP addresses, carriers, LECs, TNs, circuit IDs, account numbers
- Inventory all contracts
- Understand and document contract dates, auto-renewal dates, early termination fees, commitments
Consistent customer/user experience
- Test to ensure the telecom services at each location provide your customers and internal users with a consistent experience
Bandwidth and Utilization
- Determine whether there is sufficient bandwidth at each location to support your usage and applications
- Identify which circuits are over or under-utilized
Cost Optimization and Budgeting
- Gather detailed costs for services
- Compare to quotes from other providers to identify savings opportunities
- Order replacement services and disconnect replaced services
- Work with Finance and Accounting to update budgets
Disconnect unneeded services
- Review contract terms to understand any early termination fees or commitments
- Submit disconnects with service providers and follow up to ensure the services stop billing
Change of ownership
- Submit paperwork required for change of ownership...without a change of ownership with the service provider, your organization will have a more difficult time managing the voice and data services you have acquired. Some services cannot be installed until the ownership of physical buildings is established.
Billing and Telecom Expense Management
- Change billing addresses
- Ensure all new bills are processed by the TEM (if you use a TEM)
- Provide your helpdesk with updated inventories
- Train helpdesk team members on new services and locations
- Gather login credentials for carrier portals, router access, etc.
- Adjust call routing, messages, call forwarding to ensure your customers enjoy a seamless experience
Acquisitions create opportunities for increased revenue and profit for organizations. Timely and expert execution is critical because without it, the opportunities become risks and exposures. Because of the intense, short-term spike in workload and expertise required, IT leaders may find third party guidance, advocacy, and tools useful during the telecommunications integration process.
Simplify has supported large multi-location clients through the acquisition process. If you are looking for a partner to help support you with your telecommunications optimization as you acquire other companies or locations, reach out to us today.
Published on Wednesday, August 14, 2019 @ 5:09 PM CDT